This is not for the weak… If you cannot make light of death and mortality, please stop here and head to disney.com or someplace else.
That said, it is once again time to submit your dead pool rosters. It is still free. Maybe some day we will do a paid option for all of the marbles, but not yet.
Here is the way it works. I respect your privacy, so I you have two ways to submit your roster; you can post it in a comment on this post if you don’t care if anyone sees it, or you can email it to me. The email address to send to is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your roster should look like this:
Dead Pool 2019 Roster
[What name do you want to be displayed as on the standings.]
[Snip – for brevity]
The rosters will be gathered up and published on a post to keep us all honest.
Why the alternate? well, it is possible that someone that you have on your roster may pass away between the time that you submit it and the first of the year.
I will be using the same rule set as last year.
If a person on your roster passes during the year 2019, you will get a score of 100 minus the person’s age at the time of their passing. There are bonus points that may apply and I will award them as they occur.
Basic points per death will be determined by their age deducted from 100. Additional points are listed above.
- Your celebrities must die between January 1, 2019 12:00 a.m. PST and 11:59 p.m. PST on December 31, 2019.
- Your celebrity must be a real person, not a character, like Ron Burgundy.
- Your celebrity must be a real celebrity, not the mother of a celebrity, like Debbie Nelson.
- Your celebrity must be a human.
- An unborn child of a celebrity does not count as a celebrity, so miscarriages and stillbirths are worth nothing.
- Celebrities that are terminally ill, on death row, or are political refugees / terrorists are qualified.
- Spiritual death does not count.
- Anyone saved by CPR or other life-saving means will only receive the “Michael Clarke Duncan” points and not the basic age points.
- You have one month or until someone else’s celebrity dies (whichever comes first) to manipulate your celebrity death predictions. So whatever your standing list is as of February 1, 2019 12:00 a.m. or as of the first speculated death, will be your final list. Reminder: the moment someone wins the “First Cadaver”, the one month manipulation clause is no longer valid.
- If you selected someone already dead, not qualified per the rules, or any other type of error, after the cut-off deadline, then you do not get to correct it. All lists by cut-off point are final.
- You must list all of your celebrities as an actual list, in one post, to enter the game. Calling out individual people in separate lists will not be counted. A list must have no less than 8 names to be considered an entry in the game. Any list changes must be reposted as an entire list.
5 pts the “First Cadaver” if your celebrity is the first to die in 2019.
10 pts the “Selena” if your celebrity is murdered.
50 pts the “Vic Morrow” if your celebrity is decapitated.
15 pts the “Sid Vicious” if your celebrity murdered someone. Extra 5 pts if the celebrity murders someone within 24 hours of his/her own death.
15 pts the “Whitney Houston” if your celebrity is African American and dies in February.
15 pts the “Owen Hart” if your celebrity is a sports figure that dies competing.
20 pts the “JFK” if your celebrity is a political figure and is assassinated.
20 pts the “Brandon Lee” if your celebrity is a musician or actor and dies while performing or working on set.
10 pts the “Paul Walker” if your celebrity dies during the filming of a movie and his/her contribution to the movie was not finished.
20 pts. the “David Carradine” if your celebrity dies from a sexy time gone sour (whether alone or with someone).
25 pts the “Kamehameha” if your celebrity dies on his/her birthday or wedding anniversary.
25 pts the “Michael Clarke Duncan” if your celebrity dies and is brought back to life.
5 pts the “Who Knew?” if your celebrity goes out in the most unique fashion. Most unique selection will be determined by group vote.
25 pts. the “Jon-Erik Hexum” if your celebrity dies from his/her own stupidity, such as playing with a gun or planking on a balcony.
15 pts the “Killing Spree” if 3 of your predictions die in a row with nobody else’s predictions in between.
25 pts the “Daily Double” if 2 of your celebrities die on the same day like Jackson and Fawcett.
15 pts the “Left Eye” if your celebrity dies in an auto accident. Extra 5 pts if the celebrity is driving.
5 pts the “Grim Reaper” for the poster with the greatest number of celebrities that die, regardless of any point value.
25 pts the “Sylvia Browne” if you predict the order in which all of your celebrities will die. (Even if all 10 don’t die, your celebrities that do die just have to die in the order you listed.)
15 pts the “Pink Ribbon” if your celebrity dies during the month of October, having been a victim of breast cancer at some point, but not necessarily dying of breast cancer.
10 pts the “John Denver” if your celebrity dies in plane crash. Extra 5 pts if the celebrity is flying the plane.
25 pts the “Keith Moon” if your celebrity dies in the same location as a former celebrity’s death. (Buildings count, cities don’t.)
5 pts the “Death by Misadventure” if your celebrity croaks while swimming, biking, boating, skiing, sky diving, mountain climbing, race car driving, or zip lining.
5 pts the “Last Gasp” for the last celebrity to die by 11:59 p.m. PST on December 31, 2019.
This rule set was respectfully pillaged from: https://www.yelp.com/topic/los-angeles-2016-celebrity-death-pool
If you have ideas for other bonus point situations, please let me know.
|Mortician||Celebrity||Age at Death||Score||Bonus||Sub Score||Total||Comment|
|Queen Elizabeth II|
|Dick Van Dyke|
|Olivia Newton John|
|Dick Van Dyke|
|Olivia De Havilland|