420 – certainly a much celebrated topic

Before I start I want to take a moment to remember that this is the anniversary of the shooting at Columbine HS. God rest their souls.

April 20th, 4/20, 4:20… It has become such a strong cultural (perhaps just sub-cultural) reference.

putting four and twenty together often causes snickers from teens.

Can you think of good cannabis related songs? I am not looking for a collection of links to videos either.

I would much prefer the titles, maybe with the artist if you know it.

Here, I will start it off with a favorite of mine: The Devil Went To Jamaica. (I wish I knew it well enough to do that one at the bar, but with the regular lyrics on the screen just to hold the surprise.)

Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to 420 – certainly a much celebrated topic

1. Griz says:

I was going to hold this post until 4:20, but decided that I would not make you wait.

2. Reality101 says:

hmmm .. 4/20? .. ahh – Hitler's Birthday .. heh!

• Griz says:

and the Oklahoma City Bombing, and I am sure that there are many other occasions marked today.

• Reality101 says:

Yeah .. let's not forget The Columbine High School massacre .. and The ATF raid on "The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord" compound ..
        And I would say the "Siege on Waco" (but that ended in a massacre on the 19th)

• Griz says:

1861 – Robert E. Lee resigned from U.S. Army.
          1902 – Scientists Marie and Pierre Curie isolated the radioactive element radium.
          1916 – Sir Roger Casement landed in Ireland to incite rebellion against the British. Casement, a British diplomat, was captured within hours and was hanged for high treason on August 3.
          1934 – The movie "Stand Up And Cheer" opened. It was Shirley Temple's debut.
          1951 – General MacArthur addressed the joint session of Congress after being relieved by U.S. President Truman.
          1972 – The manned lunar module from Apollo 16 landed on the moon.
          1981 – A spokesman for the U.S. Nave announced that the U.S. was accepting full responsibility for the sinking of the Nissho Maru on April 9.
          1992 – In London, a memorial concert was held for Freedie Mercury (Queen). Elton John, Guns N' Roses, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minnelli, David Bowie, George Michael, Def Leppard, and Spinal Tap performed.

• Reality101 says:

Actually, MacArthur's "Farewell Address" to Congress was on the 19th

" … I am closing my 52 years of military service. When I joined the Army, even before the turn of the century, it was the fulfillment of all of my boyish hopes and dreams. The world has turned over many times since I took the oath on the plain at West Point, and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished, but I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."

And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Good Bye."

• Griz says:

The Oklahoma City Bombing was on April 19th, not the 20th.

3. Reality101 says:

Leave it to a bunch of druggies, to develop 'counterculture affinity' to a number with such horrific significance .. Peh!

4. Reality101 says:

"1962 – The New Orleans Citizens' Council offered a free one-way ride for blacks to move to northern states. " ??
    … hmm .. Probably a whole 'nother topic there? .. lol

Actually, that was on the 19th too:

Thursday, April 19, 1962: Reverse Freedom Rides
    Segregationists in the South, led by the Citizens' Council of Greater New Orleans, pay for blacks to move to Northern states. The intent, said a council spokesman: "This is one way to show the colored people what the situation is in the North." The Herald Tribune News Service described it this way: "Apparently what the segregationist organization wants to do with this burgeoning send-the-Negroes north movement is not to try to depopulate New Orleans and the state of its Negro people, but to force what they feel is a showdown on the Northern integrationists, and especially the Northern 'liberals' who say they have the Negroes' interest at heart."

5. di_da_is_alpha says:

Sweet Leaf, from Black Sabbath's 1971 release, Master of Reality.

For anyone who hasn't heard it, or others who want to hear it again …… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YtvuZ2-I0 (sorry, Griz)

6. Griz says:

One of my office mates submitted Rush's Passage to Bangkok.

for those not familiar with it.

Our first stop is in Bogota
    To check Columbian fields
    The natives smile and pass along
    A sample of their yield
    Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams
    Golden Acapulco nights
    Then Morocco, and the East,
    Fly by morning light

We're on the train to Bangkok
    Aboard the Thailand Express
    We'll hit the stops along the way
    We only stop for the best

Wreathed in smoke in Lebanon
    We burn the midnight oil
    The fragrance of Afghanistan
    Rewards a long day's toil
    Pulling into Katmandu
    Smoke rings fill the air
    Perfumed by a Nepal night
    The Express gets you there

7. Griz says:

We must not forget Bob Rivers… What if God Smoked Cannabis.

8. Griz says:

For those that do not follow George Takei on Facebook or Twitter… you are missing out of some funny shit.

On FB he had posted 4/21 the international surprise drug test day.
    He is always posting stuff that makes you wonder if he has staffers to seek it all out.
    He has a hell of a sense of humor.

9. Reality101 says:

Austin, Texas, honors musician Willie Nelson with a statue on 4/20 at 4:20 p.m.

10. fisystide says:

got to love this shit…fuckin' nice